Volume 15 / No. 23    |    December 15, 2015
From the Publisher/Editor
Headliners
News Archive
Comics (New!)
Novo Ecijanos Worldwide
Photo Features
Milestones
Jobs Online
Local Weather
Currency Converter
Nueva Ecija Connections
Forum
Guestbook
Facebook Page



Hits since May 13, 2000

500,000 +


Nueva Ecija Journal is published in
Gapan City, Nueva Ecija,Philippines
and updated every 15th and
end of the month.
All rights reserved.
2014

2 NFA Ecija officials relieved for palay misclassification mess

The National Food Authority (NFA) reassigned  its two top officials in Nueva Ecija in connection with investigations on the alleged misclassification of palay bought by the agency's procurement officers in the province.

NFA Administrator Renan Dallisay said in a statement that temporary relief orders had been issued reassigning Nueva Ecija Provincial Manager George Roca and Assistant Provincial Manager Daniel Valenzuela to give way to the central office's investigation of the mess.

"This is to make sure that the investigation will not be hampered. We have to observe due process," Dalisay said.

NFA Region 3 director Amadeo de Guzman will act as provincial manager in concurrent capacity, while Assistant Regional Director Mar Alvarez will serve as assistant provincial manager.

NFA Region 3 had relieved five procurement personnel of the provincial office after it was discovered that they misclassified and procured 32,695 bags of damaged palay after Typhoon Lando hit the province last October 17.

De Guzman said the quality audit of the palay bought by the procurement team showed the stocks were below the quality standards of the agency and storm-damaged.

Relieved were Warehouse 8 Supervisor Edmar Torres, Quality Assurance Officers Cesar Paul C. de Guia and Adam B. Rayo, Acting Pest Control Officer Leo Thereso G. Ramos and Acting Provincial Quality Assurance Officer Jimmy M. Mallari.

The NFA clarified that it was not authorized to buy storm-damaged palay after the Department of Budget and Management denied its request for P350 million to allow the agency to buy damaged palay that may be recovered by farmers hit by the typhoon.

A total of 12 NFA employees in Nueva Ecija are being investigated by the Special Investigation Team formed by de Guzman, and if found guilty, could be suspended or dismissed and subjected to graft and corruption and malversation charges penalized with a maximum of 20 years imprisonment. ###


Palayan City marks 50th anniversary

Officials opened last December 1 the celebration for Palayan City's 50th founding anniversary which ran for a week.

Malacanang declared December 7 a special non-working holiday in Nueva Ecija's capital city to give residents the chance to celebrate and participate in the commemorative events.

The theme for the anniversary was "Ang Bagong Lungsod ng Palayan nsa Ika-5 Dekada, Pag-unlad, Now Na!"

Mayor Adrianne Mae Cuevas led the opening rites, highlighted by a Mass and the blessing of the newly renovated Plaza Concepcion

These were followed by a caravan, a livestock fair, and painting and photo contests.

Other activities lined up were birth registration, city employees' night, photo exhibits, moto-Xtreme challenge, training on mushroom production, gift-giving to senior citizens, launching of livelihood projects, Alay Lakad 2015 and a cooking contest.

The anniversary was also highlighted by “Kuwentuhan sa Palayan Puppet Show,” larong Pinoy, friendly game involving movie stars and the Palayan City Capitals, street-dancing contest, barangay and awards night and fireworks display, amateur singing contest and variety show.

Last December 5, popular showbiz love team James Reid and Nadine Lustre performed to the delight of the city residents.

Cuevas' philathrophist-businessman husband, Bong, led this year's anniversary committee.

Cuevas said the celebration this year was modest, considering that Palayan was one of the places in Luzon affected by Typhoon Lando. ###


SM City Cabanatuan cited for adapting to climate change

SM City Cabanatuan has been cited as a good example of how SM Prime has adapted to climate change by making its infrastructures more resilient to disasters.

SM Prime President Hans Sy, speaking at the annual meeting of the United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDRR) and the only Filipino in the UNISDRR's private sector advisory group, said his company has taken major steps to ensure the longevity of its development and safeguard its host communities in the midst of worsening effects of climate change.

Cabanatuan City was affected by Typhoon Lando,. resulting in massive flooding, mudslides and power outages. The design of SM City Cabanatuan allowed the free flow of creek floodwater during extreme flooding while the lower  ground structure served as a flood catchment, reducing the risk of flooding and ensuring the safety of the surrounding communities. The mall also served as a refuge for over 400 customers and families in the are at the height of the typhoon.

Other SM malls employing similar strategies to cope with natural disasters were those in Marikina, Antipolo and Muntinlupa, and the Malls of Asia.

“SM Prime places crucial importance on disaster resilience, not as an additional cost, but as part of our core business strategy. It allows us to serve our communities better, to be competitive, to increase our value and bottom line. But most of all, disaster resilience ensures the safety of our customers and the communities where we operate,” Sy said. ###


Pantabangan mayor's aide shot dead

A policeman who acted as security aide to Pantabangan Mayor Lucio Uerea was shot dead by unidentified suspects last December 9.

Sr. Supt. Manuel Cornel, provincial police director, identified the victim as Carlito Barcelo, 53, of Barangay Villarica, Pantabangan. He was on absence without leave status.

Cornel said Barcelo was among the persons in the drug watch list of the Pantabangan police.

The victim's body was found at about 11:00 P.M. along the portion of the Pantabangan-Baler Road in Block 9, Barangay East Poblacion.

SPO4 Napoleon Ladores of the police Highway Patrol Group detailed at Camp Crame, said he was on his way to Aurora when he saw the victim' on the road.

He thought the victim was a victim of a vehicular accident but when he approached the body and saw a gun beside it, he quickly contacted the local police.

Witnesses in the area said they initially heard four gunshots followed by the voice of a man shouting for help and cursing somebody before another shot was heard.

Found at the scene of the crime were a caliber .38 pistol loaded with five bullets, five caliber .45 shells and Barcelo's personal belongings that included a pouch containing drug paraphernalia. ###


Retired police official, aide killed in Jaen ambush

A 58 year old retired police superintendent and his aide were shot dea by unidentified men in Barangay Imbunia, Jaen on the evening of December 10.

Chief Supt. Rudy Lacadin, regional police director, identified the victims as retired Supt. Lorenzo Paynor, former police chief of Obando, Bulacan and a resident of Barangay Sapang Palay, San Jose del Monte City in Bulacan, and Donato Taar, 38, security aide and caretaker of the farm owned by Paynor.

Investigation showed the victims had just left the farm on bord Paynor's vehicle when they were strafed by the suspects at Purok 1.

The victims died on the spot from multiple gunshot wounds.

Lacadin ordered the Jaen police to look deeper into the incident to determine the motive, though there are various angles, including revenge, that are being investigated by the police.

Paynor was a native of Jaen but lived in San Jose del Monte after retiring two years ago. ###


San Jose security guard shoots self

A 54-yer old security guard shot himself in the head in San Jose City last December 1.

Supt. Nolie Asuncion, city police chief, identified the victim as Jesico Deles, separated, of Light Supervision Security Agency, living in Zone 1, Barangay Porais.

The victim was on duty at the front gate of King Cedric Rice Mill along Tulat Road, Barangay Calaocan, when he allegedly committed suicide at 3:10 P.M.

He was seen by a CCTV seated on a monobloc chair inside the guard house and suddenly fallingl on the floor.

It was later discovered that he sustained a gunshot would in the lower right portion of his head.

Asuncion said the victim's live-in partner, Leticia Ballesteros, 45, said that three days prior to the incident, the victim had warned her that he would commit suicide.

Found at tdhe scene were a caliber .89mm pistol loaded with five bullets and a shell of the same caliber. ###


3 suspected carnappers killed in Muñoz encounter

Three men,suspected of being carnappers, were killed in an alleged encounter with Science City of Muñoz policemen who spotted them driving a stolen motorcycle last December 6.

Supt. Ponciano Zafra, city police chief, identified one of the suspects as Lazaro Reyes, 20, of  Purok 20, Barangay Malapit, San Isidro. His two companions remained unidentified.

Zafra said the encounter happened on a bridge in Barangay Palosapis at about 4:30 A.M.

The police were conducting follow up operations on a carnapping incident involving a motorcycle stolen hours before, when they saw a motorcycle of the same description being used by the three suspects.

Zafra said his men approached the suspects but the latter fired at the policemen, triggering a firefight that ended with the death of the suspects.

Found at the scene were an MK-2 hand grenade and several shells for caliber 5.56, .45 and .9 mm pistols. ###


Farmer with pending criminal cases shot dead in Jaen

A 59 year old farmer with pending criminal cases of murder, homicide and illegal possession of firearms was shot dead in Jaen last December 6.

Sr. Supt. Manuel Cornel, provincial police director, said the victim, Cresenciano Constantino alias Boy Thompson, married, of Barangay Pamacpacan, was found sprawled on the ground near his black pick-up truck in Purok 4, Barangay Imbunia at about 5:30 P.M.

The victim bore several gunshot wounds.

Investigation showed that the victim first visited the house of a certain Francisco Rivera then got out and boarded his vehicle.

Witnesses said several shots were heard which they mistook for firecrackers, but when they checked, they found the victim on the road bloodied.

Cornel said the victim had several criminal cases pending in various courts including multiple murder, attempted murder, homicide and illegal possession of firearms.

It was learned from relatives that the victim had been receiving death threats. ###


Robber slain in Gapan shootout

An alleged member of an "Akyat Bahay Gang" operating in the province was killed in a shootout with the police in Barangay San Nicolas, Gapan City before dawn last December 5.

The police tried to accost two men riding a motorcycle in tandem but one of them shot at the authorities.

The police fired back, hitting and killing the back-rider, identified as Louie Garcia of Purok Riles, Barangay San Vicente, Gapan City.

The other suspect managed to escape. ###


Man held for unlicensed gun in Guimba

A jobless man was arrested after he was found with an unlicensed gun during Oplan Sita/Kapkap operations at the height of a barangay fiesta in Guimba last December 8.

Supt. Ricardo Villanueva, commander of the Provincial Public Safety Company, idetified the suspect as Bobby Carbonnel alias Edgar, 40, married, of Purok 3 Centro, Barangay Santa Clara, Cuyapo.

Seized from Carbonnel was an unlicensed Smith and Wesson caliber .38 revolver with five bullets hidden in his sling bag.

He was charged with illegal possession of firearms and ammunition at the Provincial Prosecutor's Office. ###


News Archive